Tuesday 8 May 2012

Saving Money with Consignment Shops


     As a busy mom of 2 young children, I am constantly looking for the best deals on anything and everything for my little ones. When my oldest was born, we were grateful to have received so many gifts and clothes because we never had to buy her clothing until she reached 2 years old.  After that, however, I realized that if I didn’t want to spend an arm and a leg on clothing, which she would either grow out of or destroy, I had to look in places other than the cute little baby boutiques and larger stores that I was used to. 




      After my daughter turned 2, I began sorting through her clothes on a somewhat regular basis and weeding out items to donate, to take to a consignment shop (where you can receive cash or credit towards items at the shop), and to simply throw away. My favorite place to find children’s clothing and items is Once Upon A Child. I have taken so many gently used items there and in return I have gotten equally as cute and great quality items for less than I would have paid elsewhere. Once Upon A Child is now becoming a little more selective when buying clothes, however.  For example, ones that come in sets have to have all items included, no stains, tears or loose seams, and are almost always brands that we already know and love but don’t want to pay full price for.  Below is a list of selling tips from Once Upon A Child:

§  Be sure your apparel items are freshly laundered and in good condition – no stains, fading, or excessive wear.
§  Equipment and toys must meet current safety standards. Not sure if your items qualify? Bring it in and we’ll check it out!
§  Toys, equipment and furniture must include all parts, be clean and in good working condition.
§  In order for us to offer the latest and greatest in styles at value prices, clothing and accessories must be purchased within the last five years.
§  It is most efficient for us to review items folded neatly in a box, bin or tote. Please, no hangers or garbage bags.

     It makes me happy knowing I can buy great products and still contribute to our local retailers. Even before your baby is born, check out these stores for essential items you will need for your first few weeks and months.  Once you’re into more of a routine and feel like venturing out of the house, I highly suggest going through your children’s clothing every month and sorting out ones that don’t fit and can be brought to a consignment shop - not only do they carry children’s clothing, but larger items, such as cribs, and strollers as well – to help keep the clutter out of the house, and save some money in the process.  Keep in mind that stores like these take not only clothing, but toys, furniture, footwear, etc.  Take a look and let us know what you find!  And if you know of any other great consignment shops, let us know!

Until next time,

AD



No comments:

Post a Comment